It’s a simple equation: The health benefits of weight loss are as broad and varied as the diseases caused by obesity.
- Weight loss may improve survival in those who have an obesity-related disease, especially type 2 diabetes.
- Sustained weight loss prevents new cases of type 2 diabetes in people who were obese.
- Blood pressure decreases with weight loss.
- People with type 2 diabetes who lose weight have lower blood sugar levels and are able to use less medicine to lower blood sugar levels.
- Weight loss makes it easier to breathe and sleep.
- Weight loss reduces stress on joints.
- Weight loss together with exercise increases energy and mood levels.