Sure, you’re young and healthy. But getting some essential tests can catch signs of issues to come, and could help you prevent big issues by tackling small ones. Here a list of essential tests for 30-something men.
- Diabetes: Once a year, have a blood glucose test. Diabetes is on the rise, and often goes undetected. If you catch elevated blood sugar early, you may be able to make lifestyle changes to stop diabetes in its tracks.
- Testicular cancer: A simple monthly self-check to detect lumps or swelling will find any problems early. Have your doctor check once a year.
- HIV and other STD’s: If you’re sexually active, get tested for HIV and STD’s every five years. Many sexually transmitted diseases have no early symptoms.
- Heart disease: Your 30s are a great time to get your heart checked out if you have a family history or other risk factors.
- Comprehensive blood screening: A single blood test can screen for thyroid problems, cholesterol and triglycerides, and other imbalances that may indicate a problem.
- See a dentist: Gingivitis, which causes bleeding, swelling and redness of the gums, can lead to periodontal disease, which has been linked to heart disease
Don’t take good health for granted! Many catastrophic diseases are easily preventable with lifestyle changes. Find out if better choices can lead to better health with early detection.
Read the full story: http://www.ahrq.gov